Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Vamps vs. Wolves

First of all lets get a shout out from all you Twilight fans out there! (enter cricket sounds here). J/K I know all of you love Twilight just as much as I do. I know that since I just read them for the first time in February, I am not an "aged" fan, but a devoted fan just the same.

So I am in the mist of a heavy debate with my friend reddirtgirl. She suggested that I write about it on my blog to get it out and see what everyone else thinks. So here I go....

I LOVE Edward. She loves Jacob. I sort of understand the Jacob appeal (sort of, kinda, but not really). Here is a short list of reasons that I love Edward:

*he is beautiful
*he is smart
*he is charming
*he is protective of the ones he loves
*great musician
*crooked smile (to show he is not perfect)
*he is a true gentlemen
*wants Bella to live a full life and enjoy everything she can while she is alive (he doesn't want to turn her into a vamp)
* and the most important reason of all is that he was willing to give Bella up to keep her safe and happy

People say that Edward is the possessive one. What I see is that Jacob is the one who looks at Bella as a prize to possess. I think that part of the reason he wants Bella so bad is because he is aware of how much she means to Edward and we're all aware of how much Jacob detests Edward (and vice versa). Edward is the one who has her best interests at heart. Did we all not read that in 'New Moon'? When Edward left her it showed true love. He thought she would be safer and better off without him.
Another fact to remember is that Edward and Bella actually fell in love with each other. Jacob has just been pining for her constantly, despite her obvious love for Edward. (Eventually she says she also loves Jacob, but who can deny the kind of love and attention that Jacob gave her? Nobody, even I might fall for a werewolf if he treated me the way that Jacob treats Bella. And I am a Vampire lover through and through!)
Even though Edward loves her to the point where he would give up everything for her, he still gives Bella a choice, so that SHE can be happy. (And BTW she picks Edward.) From what I see about Jacob, he wants her and intends to get her whether she likes it or not. He does not want to give her a choice. In his mind he is the ONLY choice. He will not give up on her no matter what she says, clearly implying that his infatuation with Bella is indeed very selfish and one-sided.

So I pose my question. You know my answer.

Edward or Jacob?

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Edward all the way. I can't stand Jacob :) I actually wouldn't mind if he was killed off :)

reddirtgirl said...

Ummm. Wow. That was a really good case made for Edward. I am still not switching sides but at least I understand your reasons more clearly. I feel a little less like drawing a line in the sand and having an out and out war over who is right. A teeny, tiny, little bit less:)
I'll have to compose my thoughts so that I can make as compelling a case for Jacob.

Mama Cher, Ok, fine, it's Sharon said...

yeah, I like Jacob too! HAHA. I will explain more later...but basically he is more real to me than Edward...

Lyssa Beth said...

There is No battle on this one. Edward for sure! PS I'm Katie's sister, Lyssa from San Antonio :)