Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sassy

sas·sy:

1. Rude and disrespectful; impudent.
2. Lively and spirited; jaunty.
3. Stylish; chic: a sassy little hat.



My sis-in-law calls me today to rant. I knew as soon as she asked if I had a minute to talk, she was going to rant about someone or something. I love it when she does that. I know I am going to get a bit of gossip or she will have some great story about something that has happened. So I put my book down and get ready to listen. She tells a story about what happened at church today. (I love these stories the best. It just provides me with a backup when people say that I am the only one that finds quite a bit of Utah Mormons... well, um... different.) Here is the story and my reaction. Enjoy.

Marlo: So Krystina (her 10 year old daughter) tells me after class that her best friend pulled her aside before primary to talk to her. Her friend told her that she is no longer allowed to play with Krystiana, because her mom thinks she is too sassy.

Me: WHAT?? Since when is being a little sassy a bad thing?

I will spare you the rest of the 30 minute conversation. Here are my thoughts and feelings.

1. Unless my child is in danger of being hurt or arrested I will not tell them who they can and can't play with. I will (and do) control them playing with certain friends at our house only, so I can know for sure what they are doing, but I will not forbid them to play with someone. When you forbid your child to do something that is just asking them to test you and do it.

2. Seriously? If sassy is the worst thing your child is then be grateful! If sassy is the worst thing your child's friend is then be grateful. I can think of thousands of worse things to be then sassy. Literally, thousands.

3. The mother of that child should be ASHAMED of herself. I feel sorry for her, and her daughter. If she is so concerned about Krystina, who is one of the most well behaved, grown up, wonderful 10 year old girls I know, then she is in for a long, hard road ahead. It is just sad what she is doing to her daughter.

*When I was 17 a woman in our ward forbid her 15 year old daughter from hanging out and seeing me. She said over and over that I was a bad influence on her girl. Guess what? Her daughter was the one drinking, smoking, doing drugs, skinny dipping and sleeping with all of the boys. I was the one going to seminary and um... not doing those other things. When she was with me she never did that stuff. She liked hanging out with me. She would be with me as much as possible, and NEVER got into trouble when she was. Once her mother forbid her to see and talk to me the girl went nuts. She told me she was gonna show her mom. She got caught on base with drugs, alcohol and naked boys. Needless to say she was shipped right out to her grandmother's house. The mother to this day blames me for her daughter's outrageous behavior. I say, look in the mirror lady. YOU and only you pushed her to that. (Well the girl could have done the right thing, but that is another post.)*

I think Marlo should find out what was really said. The mother told the daughter who told Krystina who told Marlo.... see what I am getting at?

Sassy. When I think sassy I think spirited, quick witted, chic. I have no negative connotations for sassy. I think Marlo is a little sassy, and gave it to her girls. I am a little sassy... well maybe not a little. I am sassy. I think I have given my daughters a little sassyness, and I like that they are that way. There is nothing wrong with sassy. Call me sassy any day!

2 comments:

Mama Cher, Ok, fine, it's Sharon said...

I definitely think Marlo needs to talk to the mom. Just say, "Hey Krystina said she's not allowed to play with your daughter anymore. Did something happen?"

And you are right, there are THOUSANDS of worse things to be than sassy.

Natalie said...

I HATE it when parents come to me about this kind of stuff at school. "My child (usually daughter) said that so-and-so's mom says she can't play with so-and-so anymore." Seriously??!! Why are you telling me? Call her!
If one of my girls told me something like that, I don't think I would want them at that person's house. Period. No matter what they really said. There is obviously a lot of judging going on over there, so why bother!