Sunday, June 29, 2008

Family

The Sigman reunion was this weekend. It was from Thursday until Saturday or Sunday... I do not know which. We went up to Park City on Thursday night at 7 pm after I had worked all day. We did a scavenger hunt which everyone really enjoyed. It was a really fun idea. Then we talked for a while and came home. I am not sure how the rest went because we never went back up. A few reasons for this. We were going to go on Friday but Lewis did not get home until late so by 7 pm they were 2 hours into the dinner. Then on Saturday they went to Lagoon. We did not.


Side Story
{Lagoon is just not reasonable for our family. It is expensive. Every time we go the kids want to leave after like 2 hours. The water in the pools are too cold so they do not want to go their either. OK! The last reason is the real reason... I HATE Lagoon! It is small and really dirty! There is rust on everything. (It could also be that the first time I went to Lagoon I was pregnant and I was afraid to touch anything for fear of germs.) I did not grow up in Utah so I did not grow up going to Lagoon. I grew up going to Busch Gardens, Kings Dominion, Disneyland, and Six Flags. Lagoon is like a carnival. Don't get me wrong, I love a fair or carnival. They are gross and dirty and expensive and they come maybe one time a year. I am willing to go to them once a year, just like I am willing to go to Lagoon once a year with Lewis' work for $8.00, but no more. The kids do have fun when we go, but they only have fun for like 2 hours. I just can't see paying upwards of $150 to get in plus money for food, and drinks for us to go just to leave a little while later.}

When we were at the reunion I realised something. I love Lewis' family. They are great...BUT. Yes there is a BUT. A big one, and I am not talking about mine. HAHA!!

We are all one family, but when we get together people are still in their little families. I guess I am just a little saddened by that. Most of Jan's kids live here with their families. Jeanine and Heather have all of their kids living either in their house or very close by. Even Quinn and his wife have his sister, her husband and their baby here. See, Lewis and I do not have a family here. Allison and Marty live in Virginia. Heidi and Ryan and their kids live in Oregon. Katie and her fiance live in Connecticut. So when we get together with the whole Sigman bunch it is just us. Everyone is very nice and they talk to us and include us but, it is sad that it is just us. I wish I could say when we are getting together that I know my sisters will be there but I can't. I am just saying that is why I feel torn about getting together with everyone. I know we will have fun, but it still seems like something is missing. And now with Kendall gone, I have lost one more friend. I miss you guys! We never see Heidi and her family or Katie. Last time we saw them was YEARS ago. Really! YEARS!!! And Allison and Marty we saw in May for the first time in almost 2 years! Really. Would you like to have to wait 2 years to see your family? No. And neither do we. Consider yourselves lucky to see your families, even if they drive you crazy. Everything is so expensive we can't even take out kids to see their grandparents. I saw my grandparents several times a year growing up, and Lewis did too. And we took that for granted. OK, I am done.


OK I got a little out of control there. I just type and type and do not stop and think. I won't delete it because I promised myself that I will not censor myself as much as possible because this blog is as much for me and my memories as it is for people to read. I am just trying to keep it honest.

2 comments:

Kendall said...

I am glad that you were able to go up for one night! I missed being there too! We will have to see when we can come up to visit! I will let you know!

CBalmanno said...

I know how you feel. Marlo hasn't seen her parents in 2 years now - which means the kids haven't seen their other grandparents in 2 years. It's cheaper for them to come here since it's just the two of them, but they won't do it, even though I've offered to pay half.