Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Wasted Youth

I was reading one of my favorite blogs (Ruby Redd Mania) today. She is in Paris for the week for her birthday (I think). And I got to thinking. I have had so many great experiences in my life. I have been privileged to do so many fun things. And I complained about half of them.

I lived in Germany for 2 years in middle school. On weekends we would drive an hour and visit a historical town and castle. We went all over Germany, Luxembourg, France, and The Netherlands. We went to ski week in Garmisch. We went to Switzerland and had a week of fun. We went to crazy little French and German amusement parks. Then I lived in Belgium for 2 years. We went to Spain for spring break. (I tried to get out of going! I ending up going and taking a friend and having the best time ever!) We went to Paris, ummm, 20 times? We went to the beach. We went...everywhere. I stayed at the Palace of Versailles. Like IN the palace. For 3 days. Did I appreciate it? No. I complained about the food. I walked to McDonald's! for dinner. My dad is French. He was born and spent his life there until he was a teenager. He speaks the language and we had no trouble traveling around. We were able to go places and do things he did when he was growing up.

I have been so fortunate to go so many places and see so much. Luckily I am only 30(ish). I have a lot more time to go and do these things again, and appreciate them this time. Lewis and I planned to go to Paris this summer with my parents for a week. We canceled the trip because my sister-in-law was going to get married in July. Well, that's been pushed to October so we are out a trip. So the trip is planned for next summer. Summer 2009. It seems so far away. Lewis has never been to Europe so I am excited for him. The countdown starts today!

Ruby Redd enjoy the ride! Appreciate what your mom is showing you. I know you will love it!

2 comments:

Sanford said...

Even though you whined about your life like every other kid in the world, you still had the good fortune of growing up in highly unusual manner that allowed you to experience other cultures. How do you think it has informed the person you are today? Would you be the same Kendra if you had lived your whole life in Utah? Although Ruby has to settle for a short visit to Europe instead of living there, I hope she will gain a little a bit of perspective. Did you?

cyndi said...

Oh my goodness you were so lucky--- I would love to go to those places. ANd you get to go to Paris again-- You are so spoiled :) But hey you deserve it!

Just thought I would say Hi I loved your boyfriend post. I read it last week--So funny!

ps I usually hide whenever I see people from over 5yrs ago too---