Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Update on Wasted Youth

SBarrett says:
Even though you whined about your life like every other kid in the world, you still had the good fortune of growing up in highly unusual manner that allowed you to experience other cultures. How do you think it has informed the person you are today? Would you be the same Kendra if you had lived your whole life in Utah? Although Ruby has to settle for a short visit to Europe instead of living there, I hope she will gain a little a bit of perspective. Did you?

Would I be the same Kendra if I had lived my whole life in Utah, instead of living in other countries? Short answer...NO. I would not be who I am today. So much that I am, I am because of the experiences that I was able to have while living overseas. I know I am a better person then I would have been, had I lived here my whole life. I know I am a more understanding, accepting person for seeing the things that I saw. I am a less worldly person because of the people I have met, and because of the way that I have seen people live.

Did I gain perspective? Absolutely. About family, life, happiness, love, character, understanding, acceptance, perseverance, drive and what it takes to accomplish these things.

I have been places and seen things that many people I know will never get to go and see. I am truly grateful for my life and the wonderful experiences that I have been able to have. I just hope that someday I will be able to share these experiences with my own children, no matter how excited or reluctant they are to do them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i feel the same way