Thursday, April 3, 2008

Help Me!!

I was listening to a radio program this morning while running my errands for the lunchroom (going to the bakery to get bread, dropping things at the school and ordering specials). There was a parenting expert who has a book out about parenting without yelling and without anger. A woman called in and was telling a story about how her 4 year old son would scream whenever he did not get his way. (It was like wailing she said. High pitched wailing.) She asked what to do about it. They have tried spanking, they have tried yelling, anything that they could think of. The man on the radio asked if they had tried ignoring her. The mother said no. How can you ignore that screaming?
His thought was this: The child is making a fit to get attention. Good or bad. So if you ignore this behavior then she will stop the behavior because she is not getting what she wants. Makes sense to me. EXCEPT for the fact that my daughter Haley does this screaming, wailing thing all of the time. When she gets into trouble she runs away from me screaming at the top of her lungs. When we tell her to get to bed she screams at the top of her lungs. She screams when she doesn't like what is for dinner. She screams when I ask her to look at me and pay attention. What do I do? If it is time for bed I take her there and put her in bed. If she screams I ignore it. Once she stops she falls asleep very quickly. But how do I get her to stop the screaming? I do just what the man says to do. Ignore the bad behavior and do not give her the attention. It has been a year of that and she is not giving up on the screaming. I have tried "positive motivators" like treats and stickers and star charts. I have tried taking things away like movies and friends. She doesn't care. She says fine, I will get to play tomorrow. I have tried it Super Nanny's way too with time outs and other charts and things. Ideas??? I feel like the mom on the radio with nothing else to try. Help me.

No comments: