Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Obscene Material in the Mall? Or People out of Control?

OK, so maybe I am completely in the wrong here but I am putting it out there for all of you to tell me what you think.

The picture that is below was hanging in a mall in Virginia Beach. (It is the same mall that I took Adam to on a weekly basis when we lived there for 2 years. We played and rode the carousel. We had lunch and shopped with the little boys whom I nannied.) It was hanging in the window of the Abercrombie and Fitch store. People had a fit and called the police in to have the picture taken down. The store was given a ticket for "obscene material" hanging in the window of a store where minors shop. SERIOUSLY??? I think it is absurd that people threw such a fit. I have 4 kids. We go to the mall. We even go into Abercrombie. When I showed my kids each individually this picture and asked them what they thought, they each said in their own words that it looked like 4 friends getting ready to go swimming. Not even one of them freaked out about the "small area of butt" that can be seen. Not even one of them noticed it. For goodness sakes people! I see more skin then that at Dimple Dell Rec center in Sandy, Utah every time we go swimming.

Maybe I am wrong and this is a "bad" picture, but I do not think so. Let me know what you think...





2 comments:

ThomandJan said...

I personal don't think that the picture is too bad, but they are trying to get to everyone, big or small.

If little kids see those kinds of pictures at any early age in a public place, then they are going to be used to it and don't think it is that bad or wrong.

That is the Satan gets to us now days.

I think this would be a good oportunnity to teach your children what is right and wrong. Just like with every movie they see or song that they love. It always goes over their little heads.

Anonymous said...

Hi I'm a friend of the Olsens and I just thought I'd place a thought about the pics that you are asking opinions about.
I do feel that the pictures displayed in Abercrombie are most often vulgar. Anything that displays the sanctity of the human body in a "open" fashion is vulgar. The store is meaning to attract the young...to arouse their faculties. Notice that the music is loud and their images are life size too. Two seasons ago, their was a young lady in a bra and panties and a young man in jockies in front of the store giving out coupons and spraying perfumes.
Modestya-Lee, Harold B. LeeTP "Teach children modesty. If you want to teach girls to be chaste, you must teach them modesty in their dress; even in their entertainment you let the dress with which they appear before an audience be of a character to inspire modesty." I'm eager to teach my children the sanctity of their body. It is a beautiful temple and is to be treated as their "holy property". Am I a prude because I respect mine and my husband's body in keeping them clothed? Not at all. There should never be any "gray lines" when it comes to the modesty of a man or woman.
Thanks