Saturday, September 20, 2008

OCD?

Definitions:

1. A psychiatric disorder characterized by obsessive thoughts and compulsive actions, such as cleaning, checking, counting, or hoarding
2. anxiety disorder marked by the recurrence of intrusive or disturbing thoughts, impulses, images or ideas (obsessions) accompanied by repeated attempts to suppress these thoughts through the performance of certain irrational and ritualistic behaviors or mental acts
3. recurrent obsessional thoughts or compulsive acts

I think that we are all a little OCD. Everyone has their thing. It might be cleaning, counting, hoarding, or checking on things incessantly. I know I am a little OCD.

*If I see a spoon on the counter I HAVE to put a folded paper towel underneath it, even if it is clean. The paper towel has to be folded in half too. But I don't care if their are dirty dishes in the sink.
*I check the door locks every night even if Lewis said that he locked them. Even if they look locked I still physically try to lock them. But I leave my car unlocked to the tune of $1800.00. (That is a different post entirely.)
*I become obsessed with whatever I am doing at the time; reading a book series, a movie, shows on t.v., school and work projects; so much so that my mind doesn't want to concentrate on anything else but that thing. But when I am done with it I just drop it like a used tissue, never to think about it again. (But I multitask well so it is not as noticeable to others as it is to me.)

I have a brother who has to touch everything more then once. He would adjust the rear view mirror and then have to touch it one more time, even if it did not move. He would have a physical altercation with anyone that would not move and let him sit next to the door in the van because he NEEDED to sit there and have control of the door.

I know a guy who is so obsessed with his schedule that if there is a change, even because of a fire drill he is hysterical. He is a teacher who can't deal with a blip in the schedule. If a music class starts 2 minutes late he talks about it for days. If gym runs a minute late he is down complaining to the principal that his kids are late.

There is a guy that I work with that has to shut every door twice to be sure it is shut properly. He will shut it and then open it and shut it again. EVERY door.

I know this lady that can't throw things away to save her life. Once when her daughter was about 10, she was cleaning her room and grabbed the trash can and started digging through it. She was yelling "TRASH!!" or "NOT TRASH!!" for everything in it. A broken in half pencil without an eraser is trash to me but she had it in the non trash pile. She hordes stuff. People have to throw things out when she is not around. (And no, I was not the 10 year old.)

I know a ton more but I don't want to put anyone on here that might read about themselves and get embarrassed. I could say plenty about all of these people and their "issues", and they could say plenty about me and mine. That is not the point of this posting.

My point:
We are all a little obsessive. We are all a little compulsive. We are all a little disorderly. We are all a little crazy. We all have our "issues". So lets all try and give each other a break sometimes. Now, if you want to leave a comment about your OCD item I would love to hear that I am not the only freak out there!!

4 comments:

CBalmanno said...

I'm a Crackberry addict. If my cell phone lets me know I have a new email - I HAVE to check it right then, or my head will explode.

Sypher said...

LOL...

I do the door lock thing and after I lock it and check it...if I dont go right to bed and watch TV for an hour I have to check it again.

I sniff for no reason and if I am nervous I do it even more.

IHAVE to answer a ringing phone. I can NOT just let it go to voice mail.

Does touching yourself count?

Miss Kendra said...

Sam-

Sick. Sick. And sick!!!

Jessica Stark said...

Sean has to lock his car door like 4 or 5 times (press the little button to lock it). Even if we are inside a restaurant or whatever, he will point it out the window to his truck and lock it AGAIN! It drives me crazy, but I am pretty much used to it by now. Or if I drive his truck for some reason and he SEES me lock it, he will take the clicker thing and lock it 3 or 4 more times. Ha ha. I love him.