Wednesday, June 9, 2010

What is Parkour?

This is a question that I have heard about 20 times in the past week. Adam really wanted to learn so I found a local place that has lessons/open gym time with guys that are really good. It is Wednesday's from 8 to 10pm. You can pay by the time so there is no commitment issues. Tonight is his first time. I know he was very nervous when we got there. His friend was not there yet so he wanted me to stay until he arrived. All of the people that came in to do it were like between 16 and 20 and were ripped! I swear I have never seen abs like that on anyone at the gym.

apk or American Parkour explains it like this:

Def: Parkour is the physical discipline of training to overcome any obstacle within one's path by adapting one's movements to the environment.

• Parkour requires... consistent, disciplined training with an emphasis on functional strength, physical conditioning, balance, creativity, fluidity, control, precision, spatial awareness, and looking beyond the traditional use of objects.

• Parkour movements typically include... running, jumping, vaulting, climbing, balancing, and quadrupedal movement. Movements from other physical disciplines are often incorporated, but acrobatics or tricking alone do not constitute parkour.

• Parkour training focuses on... safety, longevity, personal responsibility, and self-improvement. It discourages reckless behavior, showing off, and dangerous stunts.

• Parkour practitioners value... community, humility, positive collaboration, sharing of knowledge, and the importance of play in human life, while demonstrating respect for all people, places, and spaces.

So basically Adam is going to be exercising? I am in! When I left him tonight he looked like he was having a great time. I hope it lasts!

Don't be scared by the image. I won't let him try this for at least a month! :)

4 comments:

Diana said...

wow! That's cool that there is classes for this!

The Queen Bee said...

I didn't even know they had classes that teach parkour. How did Adam do?

Miss Kendra said...

He did really well. He is a little young but he is learing fast and by the time he is 17 he will be able to do all of the cool stuff!

Heidi- Call me. I have been trying to get ahold of you.

The Q'lings said...

He really did do well! It was fun to watch him, shy at first and then just opened up and hit the walls, literally! *wink*