Monday, December 24, 2007

Twas the Night Before Christmas




Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house
not a creature was stirring, not even the mouse (we caught him in a trap 2 weeks ago and he went out with the trash);
the laundry was washing and drying with care,
in hopes that tomorrow I would have something to wear.


The children were nestled and snug in their beds....
but then they were up asking for water and bread. (Is this how all kids are?)
And Lewis in the front room watching TV, and me in for logging (time that is),
Had just settled down for a long night of blogging.


When out on the lawn
there arose such a clatter.
I sprang from my desk
to see what was the matter.
All the way through the house I flew like a flash,
Wrenched open the door as I got some whip lash.
When, what to my wondering eyes did appear,
But the UPS Man standing in all of his gear.

With a little young driver, so wired and wull,
I knew in a moment that he had drunk Red Bull.

"Now Abi &Ti! Now Beckah! Now Jason and Haley!
On Adam! On Rachael! On Michael and Gabey!
To the top of the stairs, to the top of the porch!
I have gifts for you! Gifts for you! Gifts for you all!

And then in a grinding, I heard in the road
his truck idling slowly, there out in the cold.

He was dressed in his shorts, and some knee high long socks,
and he wore all brown clothes from his shoes to his locks;
a brown paper package he had in his hand,
when he slipped on the ice it had nowhere to land.

His face .... how it twisted! His mouth how scary!
His cheeks were like fire, his chin was so hairy!

He fell to the ground
but landed like cotton,
in a new blanket (of snow)
and all was forgotten.

He spoke not a word,
but went strait to his work,
delivering the package;
then turned with a jerk,
and saying "hey do not forget all of those",
he pointed ere there, 9 more packages rose;
He brought them all up,
to me gave a whistle,
and quick drove away
like the shot of a pistil.

But I heard him exclaim,
as he pulled up his socks,
"Happy Christmas to all,
and to all a Brown Box!"

No comments: