Thursday, April 21, 2011

Spring "Break": Part 2

On Friday morning I left for a surprise trip to Las Vegas with my parents. They were supposed to go with friends but they had a family emergency so my dad called and invited myself and my SIL Marlo to join him and my mom for a couple of shows and some dinners and some sun. I said yes in about 1 second and we left on Friday morning. Now to refresh your memory, on Thursday I went in for a broken tooth and fond out that I had to have a root canal on a different tooth. So I was leaving for Vegas with pain meds and Motrin and the hopes that everything would be alright.

We left around 9 in the morning after a few pit stops and stopped for gas and lunch. Here is dad getting the gas:

I think he was yelling at me for taking the picture. Whatever, I have to document right? So we finished the drive and got to the hotel in time to take an hour or so to hang out at the pool before going to dinner and our first show of the weekend. Here is mom getting out of the jacuzzi:
After mom and dad played in the water and I sat in the sun for a while, I looked up and saw this:

The lady sitting next to me had the NASTIEST toes that I have ever seen! I am not sure how much you can see but I really wanted to offer her some clippers and some nail polish remover. Yuck!

We headed out to the Paris for dinner before our show. (Up until this point I was feeling fine. I had decided not to take the pain medicine and just take Motrin to keep up with the pain. So far so good.) Once we got to the Paris I started to feel a little pain and I thought it was just from all of the walking and raising my blood pressure. We sat down to eat. Here is my mom and Marlo:

and me and my dad having dinner:

By the time I ate my soup I was in quite a bit of pain, but I was still managing alright. I realised that when I would drink a sip of my water then the pain disappeared completely because no air could get to the broken filling. So I kept drinking and drinking. I think I drank 4 big glasses of water and some of my dad's cranberry juice when my glass was empty. I was very full (due to the water) and my tooth was not feeling any better unless I had water in my mouth. So we paid the bill and walked out to the car. On the way there I had to focus on my breathing knowing that I had a water bottle in the car to sip from on the way to our show. I managed to drink the whole bottle in the 2 miles it took to get to The Rat Pack. Here is mom and dad at the show. We had front row seats:

Once we got into the show and ordered out waters I found that if I put my finger on my tooth it helped almost as much as the water, by cutting off the air flow to my crack. Here we are demonstrating the tooth cover:

During the show I drank my whole water and Marlo's whole water. After the show we got to take a picture with the guys from the show. I was in so much pain at this point that I ran into the bathroom with my empty water bottle and filled it with (GASP) tap water!!!! I NEVER drink tap water, not even at home. I can't stand the taste. But at a time like this I had no other choice. I was in pain like I have never felt before (and I have four children!!!). I walked back out took the picture quickly and then ran back to the bathroom to refill my bottle for the ride in the car. I seriously felt like I might pass out from the pain. My whole body was shaking and I had no focus on what I was doing or how long I had been in the bathroom.

We go tot the car and my dad knew that I was dying so he took me to a pharmacy to get some clove oil. This is a wonderful tooth pain reliever that I have never even heard of before. My mom and I jumped out of the car and bought some and I opened it up right there on Fremont Street in the middle of the crazy-ass Friday night crowd. I ripped it open and rubbed some in my mouth and felt immediate relief.

I think that because of how far I let the pain go nothing worked for very long. Now picture this:

I was full of about 8 bottles of water in less then 3 hours, I was in so much pain, and I was running down the stairs of a parking garage to get into the hotel before I either passed out or peed my pants. I ran into the hotel, went up to the 19th floor and sprinted to my room, all the while taking sips from my bottle and holding my cheek.

I got into my hotel room, took my pain pills and filled up my water bottle with more nasty tap water. It still took about two hours to get control of the pain so that I could even lay still. We watch 50 First Dates on the TV and I finally fell asleep, but not before setting my alarm for every three hours so that I could keep up on the pain pills.

By morning I was feeling fine and I made sure to keep up on the pills for the rest of the trip.

Saturday we got up and went to a little coffee place, saw Elvis:

ate a small breakfast:

and went out to the pool:

We sat out by the pool all day. We had lunch and strawberry slushy drinks. I sat in the sun and got a brownish tint to me, Marlo got a couple of burn spots, Mom and Dad sat in the shade and mom got toasted by the sun.

After the pool time we got ready and went to see The Lion King. It was my second time seeing it, but nobody else had seen it before. I loved it just as much the second time. After the show we had a yummy dinner at Mandalay Bay and then walked the strip. We saw this:

and this:

and we saw an episode of COPS being taped. Too bad nothing interesting was going on:

We went to the M&M store to get some prizes for the kids and then headed down to the fountain so Marlo could watch. She had never seen it before:

Here we are after the show:

We took our time walking back to Mandalay Bay and saw a few fun freaky people along the way. Best of all my teeth never hurt again for the rest of the trip!


Natalie Norman said...

OMG. You WOULD take a picture of her toes!!!! LMAO!

Anonymous said...

I am glad you remembered your camera. Email me the pics, we had so much fun.