Saturday, March 3, 2012

Saucy

 We are picky. Okay, I am picky. I am so picky, about everything. Everything, but especially food. If I find something that I like I stick with it. When I go to a restaurant I find something that I like and I almost never order something else. I am one of those people that can eat the same thing day after day after day and never get sick of it.

1.When I first went to Kneaders about 10 years ago (when there was only one of them in Lindon) I got the turkey with provolone on focaccia bread, lettuce, tomato, and Kneaders sauce. I got the sandwich in a meal with homemade Parmesan crusted chips and a fruit tart. Cut to 10 years later and I am still ordering the exact same meal every time that I go there, which up until 2 months ago was several times a week.
2. The first time I remember ordering Moons Over My Hammy at Denny's I was probably 16. When and if I ever have been since as an adult, I still order that grilled ham and cheese sandwich. Call me crazy, I like what I like. Don't ask how many years ago that was, let's just say that I have been eating that sandwich for a long time.

So as you can see when I find something I like I really do just stick with it. So you will understand that when I tell you that the pasta sauce that I have been serving my family for the past 8 years or so stopped being manufactured I was a bit unsteady. I say unsteady because I really did not know what to do or where to go. I literally had to sit down when I found out that it was discontinued. What the heck was I supposed to do. We had tried every sauce on the market to find the one that we liked, so now what? I went to every store and bought every jar that I could find. I went an hour north and went to the Air Force Base and cleaned out the shelves at the Commissary and bought all that they had in stock as well. Once we ran out of the stock pile I just stopped serving anything that needed red sauce.

 I figured that I had 2 choices. Make a homemade sauce (HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! I used to make my own sauce when I lived in New York while growing up and it was good, but hey that was a long time ago. I have no desire to start that again) or try a bunch of sauces until we find one that we all like. I thought trying a few would be more fun and this time I can see what my kids like too. I had a short list of criteria that the sauce had to fit into that include, but were not limited to:
*No chunks 
*Not too acidic
*No meat or sausage included (we add our own)
*No sweet taste
*No chunks
*No chunks 
It was narrowed down to two sauces. One was a medium priced brand name and one was a generic brand that was $0.99 a jar.




I added cooked ground meat to each of the sauces and taste tested them with noodles. It was unanimous. Everyone liked the cheap no name brand sauce better. Nice. I guess we have a new sauce. The kids are excited because we have not had spaghetti in like 6 months :)

No comments: